Sunday, January 17, 2010

My first 5K: Complete!

Hello All!

I am slacking on blogging...life unfortunately takes priority these days (work has been nuts!). But I wanted to let you all know that I successfully completed my first 5K! and by successfully I mean completed (I did walk for about a block after mile 2). Mama Funk and Mama Bridgeman joined forces to document the event and I thought I'd share some of the pictures my mom took this morning.

Mom and I left cypress at 5 (yes in the morning) and got downtown around 5:30 (and found a sweet free parking place!) We met up with Kathleen and Mama Funk a little later and the documentation began: pre-race pose :)


pre-race in the early morning light (still just a little after 7 at this point)


This one was in the "corral"....there were around 4,600 participants in the 5k alone! ....mom could only get a picture through the bars lol. They were playing awesome music to pump us up while we waited like the temptations and Sir Elton John (we were crocodile rockin')

So then we were off at 7:32 in the morning jogging through down town houston. I did not realize how much energy would be expended by weaving between the slower runners/walkers. I had a great time though and it was a perfect morning to run!

As we were finishing the first and speediest of the half-marathoners (who started at 7am) began to finish. Can you imagine running 13.1 miles in an hour or so?

Kathleen and I both finished under the 40 minute mark!! My official "chip time" (the orange tag on my shoe) was 35:22. I am super proud of that time :)

When we reunited with the Mama's the photography began again:

And this was our post-race victory pose (gatorade and cookies included)



I had so much fun getting ready for and participating in this with Kathleen, we're planning on participating in a half-marathon sometime in the fall.

The puppies (Jack and Ellie) were left at my apartment and are usually able to stay out of trouble. Apparently they got bored this morning, and as we entered my apartment my mother and I doubled over laughing when we saw my living room:


Ellie and Jack had decided to take all my magazines from under the coffee table and shred them all over the carpet. It was too funny for me to be mad!


All in all, today was a great day, and I've had great support getting to this point. I can't wait to do it again! Now it's time for barbecue, a good movie, and some Kenny-time :)

Here's to 5K's, the mamarazzi, good friends, good food, rambunctious puppies, and relaxing weekends!

Blessings to you today!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Way to go... I really need to whip my butt into shape! And wow... ellie... If you wanted to look at the mags you could have just asked... no need to shred glamour out of frustration!

    ReplyDelete