Tuesday, April 21, 2009

round and round we go...

What's up with the circle? Why is it continuous? Why are things that are "inexplicable" attributed to a circle. The circle of life. The "inner" circle. The 7th circle of hell. The circle of trust. A circle of friends. The LaSalle circle. Isn't it funny how circle sounds a lot like circus...which in my mind conjures an image of something completely nutty, entertaining, and full of interesting characters.

I experienced the "circle of life" last week when my nephew, Daniel, was born.

I am at a point in my life where one chapter, one journey has come "full circle." I arrived in Waco nearly 5 years ago with all of my important belongings jammed into Ziggy my trusty red Blazer. Now I find myself trying to figure out how to fit all of my current "important things" into Olive and tote them back to Corpus.

Wheels are circles...it seems like no matter the context, circles bring us to our next destination. The circle of life is eternally spinning, turning the youngest generation into the next to youngest generation.

Circles of friends and "inner" circles often change with the stages of our lives and certain people in those circles tumble with us to the next go-round.

If I really was emphasizing parallel structure I'd make some witty reference to Dante here, but I'll be honest and tell you that I didn't read it when it was assigned for class :/

On to the next quip:

The circle of trust. I hope since you're my friend and reading this that you have enough pop culture knowledge to catch this allusion. Robert DeNiro's circle had to expand as his life changed, it had to include Greg and Dr. Bob...otherwise it would have come to a complete halt.

The circle on LaSalle is just nuts...there's a reason that there are shirts made that say "I survived the circle." If you forget to look around you on that circle, you could end up going nowhere for a very long time, but if driven correctly that circle can send you in many different directions to various destinations.

What circle are you on? Where is it leading you? What part of it is inexplicable? The people? The location? Your hopeful destination?

There's one thing about going 'round in circles though....if you circle for too long you can get dizzy and have a terrible stomach ache. (Can I get an amen from the sensitive tummies in the crowd?) So how do you deal? You can't close your eyes, 'cause then you miss everything around you. You can't slow it down, because the speed of your circle is not up to you in the slightest. You just have to hold on, take some pepto, and hope for the best.

Here's to circles...all of them...the ones I mentioned, the ones I've forgotten, and all the others in between.

Blessings to you!

1 comment:

  1. Do you remember in Neuro group when I played the "guess that tune" game? One was by Perry Como called "Round and Round." This post caused me to sing that song:). And I enjoy reading your writing! The circle I'm traveling is making me sick (literally, I think it's from stress, worry, etc.), but I believe it's all worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete