Friday, March 27, 2009

...I don't wanna grow up...

Today I feel like I'm suffering from a bit of the ol' peter pan syndrome. That's not completely truthful...it's been the whole week.

Why does time go so fast? Why does growing up seem so icky?

All I seem to hear about these days are the down sides of growing up. Bills, loans, the lagging economy, having to wait till 70 to retire. Where's the fun part of being an adult that we all saw as children? What was it that made us want to be adults at age 5? In a quest to find out...and to show myself the upside of growing older: I've made a list of the top 10 things I have to look forward to in adulthood. We'll do this Letterman style...10-1 so here we go:

10) I get to have a dog! I never got to growing up...and now it's chic to have a pup so snaps for being in style and having a furry friend.
9) Contributing to the world around me. As big as their dreams may be, most 5-year-olds don't see past Saturday morning cartoons. As a full fledged adult I will be able to give back in ways I wasn't able to while growing up.
8) Getting to explore and establish a career.
7) Understanding all the technical jargon for taxes etc...there's nothing that makes you sound smarter than knowing the difference between a 1099 and a W-2.
6) Becoming an aunt! I can't wait to spoil my nephew and then give him back to Jeremy and Joy...it's the ultimate in sibling revenge!
5) Growing closer to my family. It's so much fun to be friends with your siblings...thank goodness that happens best now that we're grown up.
4) Growing closer to God as an individual. Every day I get older and every day I feel like God shows me something new about myself.
3) Getting to put "roots" in one address. Moving every year gets a bit tiring...
2) Having more life experiences. I can't wait to see the "circle of life". death i've seen, life (little Danny boy will arrive soon) I'll soon experience...love, well that's coming too.
1) The thing I'm most looking forward to in my adult life is finding someone to share it with. God's plan is so much bigger than mine and I'm so excited to see what's in store down that road.

Despite all these good things, I know there are those who are suffering with the negative side of adulthood, no post-college job prospects, parents without jobs, massive student loans to pay. You name it, it's happening. So in the hopes of not offending anyone I'll cease my dose of positivity for the day.

Happy weekend to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment